Thursday, January 25, 2007

89 dollars later...


This is what I saw at my house today!! Don't worry - no problem... just read on...


Okay - so I get home at 2:00 today after picking the kids up from pre-school and a full day of running errands. I come home to find my Carbon Monoxide detector going off. It is not saying battery - it is saying get out to 'fresh air'. So - the kids go back into the car and my friend Michelle graciously agrees to take them (you do realize how wonderful you are don't you?!) She even had her youngest asleep and the older at a friends so she was actually going to get ALONE time and low and behold... (see - she is wonderful!!)


So I head back to the house to figure out what is going on. I call the heating/air company we use and they say they will send someone over. I open up the house and windows and shut off the heat. Within 20 minutes my house had dropped down to 60 degrees! Boy this is fun! After sitting around and waiting and talking with my girlfriend Elizabeth - we decided it would be best to call the Fire Depts non emergency line to ask their advice. They immediately told me to get out of the house and they will send an engine over to check it out.


So I go out and decided that I probably should have my cats out in case... I loaded the cats in their carriers and put them in the back of the van and sat outside and in my neighbors house. The firemen showed up and checked everything out. They did not get any CO readings. But they did mention that they tell people to open all windows but then it makes it hard to get any readings... Hmm... wonder how that is supposed to work then. So they left me knowing that Arronco Heating & Air was on their way to do a second check. Their check also came back negative. So we are assuming that even though my Carbon Monoxide detector has a battery low function and that was not being lit up... that my battery was actually the problem. I payed Arronco the $89 for the service call and changed the battery. Note: It has not gone off again. Also note: get a new detector!!


After everyone left... I went to go rescue Michelle and Mike from my kids and then met Todd for dinner (I of course had never thought about making anything). When we got home, we realized that I had never turned the heat back on after all the checks and so our house was at 57 degrees!!!! Nice!


All I can say - is thank goodness I had 'Smores for dessert at the restaurant!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! What excitement!! I'm glad everyone's ok!!
I bought a faulty CO2 detector when we lived at the other house, but I held on to it for a while before I installed it. By the time I installed it and found out it didn't work, I couldn't find the receipt and it was too late to take it back. I still have it, so if you want to experience that day all over again I can send it to you. All you have to do it put the batteries in and it says you have high levels of CO2. (You can even be outdoors and it will still say it.) ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok, late last night it occured to me that I put CO2 detector when I meant CO detector. Watch out for the dreadded carbon dioxide because I'm an idiot. ;)

Ronda A :) said...

Praise God for SMORES!!! Praise Him all is ok. Way to keep cool Mom! You handled all so well. Hope you remembered to return the cats to the house before dinner LOL. Hoping you "ENJOYED" your day.

Ronda Palazzari said...

WOW! So scary! I agree with Ronda, you did handle it very well. So glad you had friends to help you out!